Welcome to Nexus!
We are a family-oriented Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and martial-arts academy in Coburg.
BJJ is an energetic, inclusive, and practical sport that children love to play. We offer kid’s training and classes that cater for girls and boys from ages as young as 4 years and older.
Kids approach BJJ like structured play – but it teaches invaluable lessons about how to develop their bodies and minds to defend themselves using technique and position, rather than strength and aggression.
This personal development overcomes fear and builds self-esteem, thereby reducing the likelihood of physical confrontation ever even happening.
To us, this is what winning looks like.
We believe Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a force for good. It builds confident and resilient young people who can calmly assess pressure situations, and act appropriately to a threat when required for self-defence.
All our kids class instructors and coaches are experienced BJJ practitioners who love to teach children. They are local parents with young kids of their own and hold current Victorian Working with Children Checks.
These coaches are assisted by members of our youth squad to help the children connect with younger role models who have benefited from applying themselves to this rewarding martial art.
Classes are conducted in our large modern training facility, with a focus on learning in a fun and safe environment.
OUR POSITION ON BULLYING
If a situation turns physical however, our BJJ kids are absolutely developing skills to handle this. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a cornerstone martial art of every professional Mixed Martial Art fighter in the world for a reason – it works incredibly well.
OUR KID’S BJJ CLASSES
Together with self-defence, our program works to develop:
- Resilience and confidence
- Coordination, balance and body awareness
- Strength and flexibility
- Self-control in pressure situations
- Confidence, self-esteem and leadership
- Focus and concentration
- Respect for others in a co-operative environment
Plus, there are regular gradings and advancements that recognise effort and skill acquisition to keep kids engaged.
NEXUS CODE OF CONDUCT
We are proud of the culture that has developed in the academy, and insist every student understands and adheres to our Code of Conduct.
- Honour: I will endeavour to uphold a strong moral character and ethical principles.
- Integrity: I will act and behave in accordance with these training values both inside and outside the academy.
- Respect: I will exhibit respect for my fellow students regardless of age, physical ability, gender, nationality, or religion.
- Self-control: I will strive to understand the consequences of my actions, and use every resource to promote peaceful outcomes at all times.
- Character: I will strive to attain my goal through hard work and the development of my character.
- Self-discipline: I understand that Jiu Jitsu techniques are for self-defence purposes only and must never be used inappropriately in the schoolyard, at work or at home.
ALL SHAPES AND SIZES!
Those new to the world of BJJ might be surprised to know there is no hitting – no punches or kicks at all. This may seem odd for a fighting style popularised by the violent spectacle of the UFC and MMA, but Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is about establishing a safe and dominant position and applying joint locks or submission holds to win a fight.
More so than in any other martial art, power and aggression can be overcome with technique. BJJ has proven to be an extremely successful fighting style for smaller people and females to defeat larger opponents, helping to make BJJ one of the fastest growing sports in the world (especially among women).
It takes an incredible amount of strength and focus to knock out someone bigger than you with a punch – but all of our experienced female members are quite capable of decisively ending a confrontation from a variety of positions using what they have learned here.